RHSTEP is a leading national organization providing sexual, reproductive and general health services to women, men, adolescents and children; capacity building training to the government and NGO service providers; advocating to establish sexual and reproductive health and rights in Bangladesh.
RHSTEP is the only NGO which is permitted by the Government of Bangladesh to perform its activities in public hospitals. At present, RHSTEP is providing SRH services, capacity development support by training and education programs through its 35 service centers in 20 districts of Bangladesh. Of those centers RHSTEP is running 13 centers in Public Medical College Hospitals and eight in Public General Hospitals. RHSTEP also running eight Community Clinics including one Maternity Clinic, five Satellite Clinics and one Vocational Training Center - VTC outside the government premises throughout the country. Through those clinics, RHSTEP covers a very large catchments area all over Bangladesh. Every year approximately 6,00,000 men, women, adolescents and children receive reproductive and primary health care services from RHSTEP centers and clinics.
RHSTEP is working to raise awareness on sexual and reproductive heath and rights and thus people must have access to related health services and to make them empowered to exercise control over their sexual and reproductive health.
RHSTEP is the pioneer of Sexual and Reproductive Health service providing NGO that has evolved through a gradual process of providing MR services in Bangladesh. In 1979 the government of Bangladesh started MR training program in 10 clinic based centers at different Medical Colleges, Sadar Hospitals and at MFSTC-Dhaka to create skilled MR Service providers in the country. Afterwards in 1983, the Government of Bangladesh formally established the Menstrual Regulation Training and Services Program (MRTSP) as a special project under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW).
In 1989 MRTSP was transformed into an NGO with its limited activities of MR training, MR Services and Family Planning Services. Considering the increasing need of other reproductive health care, MRTSP stepped forward in 2000 with multifaceted services and a new name: 'Reproductive Health Services Training and Education Program - RHSTEP'.
RHSTEP is a woman headed organization since its inception. Women constitute the majority of workforce at central as well as at clinic level, which amply reflects its policy towards women empowerment and poverty alleviation.
To contribute towards improving sexual and reproductive health status of womenfolk as well as adolescents and help to build up trained personnel by adopting specific module of training program for catering better services and thereby play a complementary role to support and supplement in consonance with the GOB’s National Health Program targets of reducing Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR) and Morbidity and other sexual and RH health hazards in Bangladesh
- Strengthen of RHSTEP Sexual and Reproductive Health and rights Service
- The unprivileged area of Bangladesh
- Reduce maternal mortality & morbidity
- With the collaboration of Government
- Unique example of GO-NGO collaboration. Centers located in Public Hospitals as well as in other places. Hospital Directors/ Superintendents are acting as Project Advisors.
The senior professors and OB/GYN Consultants are acting as Technical Advisors.
- Leading a consortium of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care providing organizations in the country.
- Strong Working Network with other like minded organizations and forums established on Reproductive Health issues.
- A highly skilled trainers pool consisting of government and other experts incorporated in the training programs that is providing quality training to the Government as well as NGO and private service providers.
- Country-wide service infrastructure with highly qualified and experienced service staff including Consultant, Physician, Paramedic, Nurse etc
- GOB is providing logistic support including MR Kits and FP commodities.
A leader for providing MR training and services in Bangladesh
- . Expansion of training activities e.g. RTI/STI, Infection Prevention, VAW, ARH etc.
- Inclusion of new categories of Trainees
- Expansion of Service centers including set-up of satellite clinics
- Expansion of community-based programs on Safe Motherhood, ASRHR, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS
- Strengthening awareness of adolescents and women on reproductive health issues
- Research Activities
Our Development Partners
- Swedish International Development Agency-SIDA is providing support to a comprehensive reproductive health care project since 1989;
- Safe Abortion Action Forum- SAAF, UK is providing support in another program
Every year approximately 6,00,000 men, women, adolescents and children receive reproductive and primary health care services from RHSTEP centers and clinics.
Back to Home